- Why is my child not testing? There are so many answers to this question—a child may not have had enough time since the last belt; the Senseis may feel that the student will not pass and they don’t want to set up any child for failure; the student may show too much nervousness which causes them to forget what they need to know to pass (they freeze up).
- Who decides which students will test? The Senseis unanimously decide who tests.
- What do the black stripes of tape on the belts mean? Why do some have one and some have two stripes? The black stripes mean the student is ready to test. Blue belts and above require two black stripes before they can test because there is more involved to those belt rank tests (ground work, advanced kicks, multiple katas, etc.)
- What is looked at for testing besides the techniques?
Attendance, student’s participation and attitude in class, being
consistently prepared for class (clean uniform, being on time, good hygiene,
- Why is there so much repetition of the same things? I feel like my child isn’t learning anything
new. Muscle memory improves performance, and learning the
basics so you can do them without thinking gives you a good solid foundation.
- Is there anything my child needs to do before he/she tests? Green belts and above are expected to complete two hours of
cleaning at the dojo.
- When can my child test? When the student has met the time
requirement for the belt and the Senseis feel they will pass the test.